Friday, March 28, 2008

Entry 5 - Spelling out the game

Yesterday, I had a meeting with Josh about my project and I think the meeting went pretty well. Before we met, Josh had already requested me to spell out my ideas – “how does this game will work?” Therefore, I started writing down the process of the game and here is what I got:

Game: Prepare your meal

Theme: “Let’s eat Italian” (The reason to create a theme for the game is to limit our choices in terms of different meals a person can prepare)

How the game will work: The game will have 9 sections of food for the player to choose. They are: meat, bread, vegetables, fruit, dairy, condiments, beverages, sauce, and sweets/desserts. Most sections will have only three choices of food that the player can choose; others will have a little more (like the condiments section). The player can choose only one food per section. The value assigned for the food in each section should be as follow below:

  • Light food – 1
  • Average/regular – 2
  • Heavy food – 3

Once the player clicked on the food that s/he wants to add to her/his dish, a new window will come up with the nutrition label of that food and the portion size. The player will select the portion size that s/he wants. The portion size and values assigned to them should be as follow below:

½ cup – 2

1 cup – 3

1 ½ cup – 4

After they have finished each section, they will click on a button, like “done” and then, the program will compute a formula like the following one:

A x B = C

If C> X they will receive negative feedback and the opportunity to “try again”.

If C they will receive positive feedback.

In my meeting with Josh, we discuss about the project and its feasibility. I showed him some of the sources that I have. We brainstormed a little bit more about the process of this game and we figure that what I would be developing is something similar with an online shopping cart. Thus, we looked on the Internet and we found a couple of sources. After looking through those resources, Josh said that I should try to have at least one section working by next week and that also, he mentioned that I should still keep working on “spelling out” my project to make it more clear and comprehensive if we need to ask information or help through online forums.

For next week, my plan is to work on the AS for my project. I’ll work with the “shopping cart” resources and try to have at least one section of my game working. I hope it works :-S!

No comments: